- The salt non-potassium, sodium and ammonium is prepared by reacting acid with insoluble metal/metal oxide/metal carbonate:
- Acid + Metal Salt + Hydrogen (Displacement reaction)
- Acid + Metal oxide Salt + Water (Neutralisation Reaction)
- Acid + Metal carbonate Salt + Water + Carbon Dioxide
- Below is the steps in preparing the soluble non-potassium, sodium and ammonium salts.
Step 1 – The Reaction
Add metal/metal oxide/metal carbonate powder until excess into a fixed volume of the heated acid
Step 2 – Filtration 1 to Remove Excess Reactant
Filter the mixture to remove excess metal/metal oxide/metal carbonate
Step 3 – Crystalisation
- Evaporate the filtrate until it becomes a saturated solution
- Dip in a glass rod, if crystals are formed, the solution is saturated.
Step 4 – Filtration 2 to Collect the Solid Salt
- Cooled at room temperature
- Filter and dry the salt crystals by pressing them between filter papers.